Kylie & Rob ♥ Ibiza, Spain
Photographer: Gypsy Westwood
Kylie and Rob spent their first holiday as a couple on the wonderful White Isle of Ibiza. As it goes with most visitors to this blissful Balearic Island, they instantly fell in love with the laid-back yet luxurious lifestyle and vowed to tie the knot on these very sunshiny shores if they were to wed. Fast-forward a couple of years and they did just that, choosing the breathtaking Amante Shore Club as their venue.
Set in a stunning cove, Amante is etched into the cliff face with uninterrupted views of Sol D’en Serra Bay. ‘Amante’ translates to ‘lovers’ and so this super-lovely couple used the theme of love throughout their wedding day.
With a relaxed yet oh-so-elegant vibe, Kylie and Rob really captured the magic of Ibiza and worked it into their big day.
Sit back, put some Balearic beats on and enjoy some White Isle love….
“My now husband and I were first invited to the wonderful island of Ibiza by some family friends who were living on the island. At first we were a little skeptical, as at the time we were not hugely into the music/clubbing scene and heard some rumors about Ibiza. The moment we touched down and stepped foot onto the White Isle we have never looked back since. We were lucky as we were taken around the whole island during our one-week stay and absolutely fell in love with it! The natural beauty and the aura that the island gave off was amazing. At this time we had only been dating less than a year and left the island saying ‘If we last, let’s get married here’ – this was in July 2008.”
“We then revisited again in April 2012 to find a venue and meet a few of the suppliers I had been emailing. This was a really nice thing to do as everyone was so helpful and it was nice to put a face to a name.”
“During our week in April we had lined up around nine venues to go and see ranging from villas, hotels and beach clubs. On doing so we realized that a sea view was important to us as well as the sun of course! Amante was the second to last venue we saw and wow, from the moment we stepped in and walked into the venue the uninterupted view of glistening turquoise water against the cliff was just beautiful.”
“Zeta at Amante did say to us at the time that if she has one recommendation, keep the venue a surprise for guests as the website doesn’t do it justice. This was easy for us to do as we were providing coaches for our guest to and from. It was hard to keep a secret on the lead up to the wedding due to excitement.”
“I think where you get married has a big impact on the style of dress that you go for. From the moment I knew we were getting married in Ibiza I knew that I wanted an elegant but chilled-out look that would fit with the venue and surroundings (as well as the other members of the wedding party). I personally do not like silk wedding dresses and knew that lace would be too heavy for me in the heat, which left Chiffon. This made it a lot easier when choosing my dress as everyone I tried was the same material just a different style. When I walked out of the changing room my mum and best friend said that the beam on my face said: ‘that’s the dress I should have’. I felt comfortable and loved the simple but striking look the dress gave off.”
“My hair was very easy, I wanted a soft wave that didn’t look too structured and would just look effortless. Like my make up, I wanted soft colours that would work with the camera but I still wanted to look like me. I didn’t have a makeup trial as I always knew I would do my own.”
“The morning was very relaxed. My mum and three bridesmaids all came to our hotel to get ready. My dad had kindly organized champage and tapas canapés, which was lovely. We sat around chatting, laughing and gradually getting ready. I was so surprised at actually how relaxed I was but I wouldn’t have changed that. Whilst we were getting ready and the hairdresser was in full swing the electricity went. Again, I was ultra calm as I knew it was out of my control so thought there was no point worrying…until 30 minutes later. But then it came on and we could all continue to get ready.”
“With the venue having an elegant but slightly rustic feel I wanted to stick with this. My aim was to get a ‘softness’ look to the wedding. Nothing too harsh, or in your face. I am not really a pink girl, however, I have always loved the soft pink (in between baby and vintage). My husband wanted a grey suit so we decided to go with soft pink and greys with white.”
“I saw the birdcage idea in a magazine and really liked the look of that combined with the candles. In hindsight getting 10 fairly large birdcages over to Ibiza was not ideal but worth it in the end.”
“When it came to the cake we chose cupcakes for two reasons. First reason being that every wedding I have been to I have seen the cake go to waste, so I wanted guests to easily be able to tuck in when they wanted to. Secondly, we didn’t have evening food so thought it would be a nice little sweet treat for people to have later on in the evening.”
“My mother-in-law and brother-in-law work in confectionary so as a favor for our guests they kindly brought out freeze dried strawberries enrobed in white chocolate. These were served with coffee in little organza bags.”
“We ended up basing all of our wedding stationary on the design from our wedding invitation with the ‘Love’ theme. It all worked really well as it coincided with ‘Amante’ which means ‘Lovers’. I also created the same look for ‘something blue’ which I dedicated to my wonderful cousin who sadly passed away. Having the little corner of something blue (flowers, candle and photograph) gave me great warmth that he was there. This was very important to me.”
“All of our guests were so relaxed, the food and drinks were amazing and the day ran so smoothly with not one hiccup along the way. Our friend’s daughter Samantha sang for us as a surprise, which was amazing.”
“The speeches went on longer than expected but once they were done we couldn’t wait to get on the dance floor. Weddings and music is such a difficult thing because ultimately you can’t please everyone so we went with what we liked (as selfish as that sounds). We didn’t want the typical wedding songs or pop music so chucked in a few oldies for our older guests but kept to dance for the rest of the night.”
“What an amazing day and night and people still talk about it now. We were so lucky to have 68 people fly over to Ibiza to spend our special day with us – very blessed.”
What were your highlights and your favourite memories from the day?
- “Because I am always late I promised Rob that the one day I wouldn’t be late for him was my wedding date. This did not go to plan and I was 30 minutes late (blame the electricity). On the way to Amante is when I got hugely nervous but my dad held my hand in the car all the way and at one point was teaching me breathing techniques, which was quite funny. When I arrived at the top of the dusty dirt track I couldn’t wait to see everyone. What an overwhelming feeling that is. Zeta and the staff were absolutely brilliant. I was ready to almost run down the aisle but instead she made us all have a glass of champagne before heading down. At this point guests couldn’t see us as they were all on the lower level waiting…. My mum ended up walking down the aisle with my niece as she wasn’t feeling too well but actually I am pleased as for me this seemed like a lovely touch.”
Do you have any advice for couples who are looking to get married in Ibiza?
- “We actually visited Ibiza to find our venue and to meet a few of the suppliers I had been emailing, which was very reassuring as when you are doing everything via email it can be really hard at times.”
Would you do anything differently?
- “As I am sure every bride says it was the most special day and everything went according to plan and I wouldn’t change a thing, other than I wished it went on for longer.”
Do you have any wedding budget tips?
- “Amante is such a beautiful venue that we didn’t feel that we required too much additional décor. We went for simplicity throughout and I think we had enough. Once the dinner was finished and tables were cleared the staff moved our birdcage decorations up to the chillout level which was great as we got to utilize these decorations and flowers for the rest of the evening too.”
- Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli – The Prayer
Dance floor classics:
- Dance music from Above and Beyond, Gareth Emery and John O’Callaghan
Venue and suppliers:
- Venue – Amante Beach Clube, Ibiza
- Photographer – Gypsy Westwood
- Hair – Louise Maxwell
- Blessing celebrant – Terry Freeth at Ibiza Blessings
- Florist – Floral Dreams
- Caterers – Amante Beach Club
- Cake – Cupcake Collection
- Musicians – DJ BeeZwax
- Bride’s dress – Pronovias from Teokath of Wimbledon
- Bride’s shoes – Dune, tiara – Halo & Co, earrings – vintage
- Bridesmaid dresses – Ted Baker, shoes – Next, earrings – Accessorize
- Flowergirl dress, shoes and accessories – Monsoon
- Groom outfit – Hugo Boss
- Groomsmen jackets – Banana Republic, shirts and pocket squares – T.M.Lewin, trousers – Superdry, shoes – Aldo
Could the idyllic island of Ibiza be the destination for you and your wedding? Take a read through the Getting Married In Ibiza Guide for more ideas and advice.