Bree & Erik ♥ Puerto Penasco, Mexico
Photographer: Ily Grantham
Not only did Bree and Erik’s destination wedding take place beside a beautiful beach in Mexico (not to mention how stunning Bree looked in her lace wedding dress…that she designed herself – how talented?!) but there’s a wonderfully warmhearted and thoughtful story behind the spot where they decided to tie the knot.
Being able to pick a truly unique wedding location can be one of the main reasons that brides and grooms decide to get married abroad. For this darling duo not only did a destination wedding feel right but getting hitched in Mexico enabled all of their close friends who live in Mexico to definitely be able to attend their nuptials.
A typical hotel wedding just didn’t fit the bill and so they set about making a brilliant one of a kind idea become a reality. I’ll let Bree the beautiful bride explain the full story behind their heartfelt bohemian ceremony in Mexico…
Bree the bride says:
“Our wedding was held in our most special location, the barrios of Rocky Point. The barrios in Mexico are the poorest part of a city. Both of us lived in the barrios in Mexico while we were friends and built homes, taught English, and made the best of friends.”
“When we began our search of a wedding location, we realized none of our friends in Mexico would be able to come if it was in the States. So, Mexico it was. But, none of the hotels meant anything to us and neither of us felt like a beach wedding was right.”
“After a lot of thought, and talking to our sweet Mexican friends, we asked if we could have it on the street where the organization we had served with has all it’s meetings. The leader of the organization has his home on that street, so he said why not?! For our wedding, we shut the whole street down and then Erik and my father built a pallet backdrop so we’d have a little touch of DIY for our ceremony!”
“The goal of our wedding was to involve as many friends and family as possible, so two of my best girls came all the way down to do my hair and makeup!”
“I designed my own dress to be classical bohemian. It has a whimsical touch that the modern day boho look encapsulates, and long sleeves and a classic train to keep the timeless feel I was going for.”
“An amazing friend and dress creator here in Phoenix, Bev Galligan made my dream come to life! The two men who run the organization, i6eight, participated in our ceremony and one of our very close friends officiated.”
- Entrance of the bride: The Piano Guys – The Cello Song
- Music during the ceremony: Nothing But the Blood
What were your highlights and your favourite memories from the day?
- “Our favorite part of our wedding was having both our cultures united. Erik’s family is Mexican, and I come from an American family. We tried to involve all parts of our cultures that we love. So while we were getting photos taken, friends were playing typical American lawn games, and before the reception dancing started, we hit pinatas.”
Do you have any advice for couples who are looking to get married abroad?
- “The advice I can give for brides looking to have a destination wedding is to go with the flow. You can’t be controlling or uptight when it comes to planning a wedding in another country. It’s the beauty of getting married where another culture is practiced! Something I never expected to see at my wedding or any other was jump roping! After the ropes were used for the pinatas, some boys took them down and we all jumped rope.”
- “If you have a set serious schedule for your wedding, you’ll be disappointed and miss out on the different opportunities that come with a destination wedding!”
Do you have any wedding budget tips?
- “As for keeping a wedding budget friendly, ask for help! You’ll be surprised how many of your friends have talents they are willing to offer to help with your wedding.”
- Ed Sheeran – Photograph (sung by my music partner Garrett Williams)
Dance floor classics:
- Enrique Iglesias – Bailando
Venue and suppliers:
Photographer – Ily Grantham | Venue – San Rafael Barrios, Rocky Point, Mexico | Bride’s dress – Designed by the bride | Bride’s shoes – Haute Look | Earrings – JC Penny | Headband – Etsy | Bridesmaid dresses – Two dresses were handmade and the pink and floral dresses were Free People | Flower girl dress – Tillys | Groom and groomsmen suits and accessories – H&M |